Saturday, November 7, 2009

YouTube K-Hole: Neil Diamond

It is so easy for me to fall into a YouTube K-hole. All it takes is one silly video posted on Facebook and I'm in trouble. I find myself clicking on all the related videos until I've wasted hours playing this internet version of Six Degrees of Seperation. So, when one of my coworkers forwarded me this apocalypse-summoning version of Adam Sandler's The Chanukah Song, covered by none other than Neil Diamond, I knew I had the next part of my day mapped out for me.

After hearing that godawful cover (of an equally godawful song) I got a little obsessed with finding examples of musicians doing their own versions of the songs of Neil Diamond. I had no idea I would find so many! Behold, the spoils of my procrastination:



Neil began his career as a songwriter and his earliest success came from writing a bunch of popular tunes for The Monkees, including "I'm a Believer".



The song had a surge in popularity when Smash Mouth covered it for the Shrek soundtrack. (Click on this video at your own risk. Smash Mouth's version is inexplicably horrible.)



Remember this from Pulp Fiction? So good.



This song has such a characteristic Johnny Cash vibe, it's hard to believe Neil "Jewish Elvis" Diamond wrote it. Good for him!



Speaking of Elvis, his cover of "Sweet Caroline" is my absolute favorite YouTube find. Nobody can work a jumpsuit quite like him.



This compilation wouldn't be complete without an appearance by Diamonds in the Rough, the Neil Diamond cover band from the underrated low brow movie Saving Silverman. The attention to detail in the costume design is remarkable.

P.S. Did you know "Neil Diamond" is not a stage name? That's the name he was born with! He actually considered using either "Noah Kaminsky" or "Eice Chary" but decided to stick with his (superior) real name as a tribute to his grandmother. By the way, you can tell I have it bad when Wikipedia gets involved.

1 comment:

Doogie Horner said...

I love that Elvis song. He does white soul really well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcR2j9Z2GD4